03/15/2017 In order to expand / replace the RAM on a computer or laptop, you need to know as much information about the characteristics of the already installed memory. This is necessary in order to find the most compatible new module. In this case, it may be necessary to collect some information about the motherboard. You can find out the characteristics of the installed module or memory modules in several ways that do not differ in high complexity. The main parameters for which you need to pay attention is the size of the plank itself, type, frequency. View and "HRE" in the hands of the RAM module will have to be in any case. However, if the RAM is in the motherboard, it will be impossible. To begin with, disassemble the system block or laptop housing. The disassembly process is completely individual. When disassembling a laptop, it is recommended to show some precautions: Outwardly, the standard RAM bar looks like this (the appearance may vary slightly depending on the model). It should be written on all the main characteristics, such as the volume, manufacturer, model, type, frequency. For the last three you need to pay special attention. Read more about each of them: Unfortunately, you can not always find out the most detailed information about RAM only look at the module. Therefore, it is recommended to use third-party software. Windows features can only find out the size of the memory available at the moment. CPU-Z is a multifunction utility for performance evaluation. First, download the archive from the official resource. To start working with the utility, remove it from the archive and open. CPU-Z does not require installation. Instructions for use: Download Utility CPU-Z The SPECCY utility is obsessive, however, it has a simpler interface compared to CPU-Z, because From there I was removed all the excess information. Brief instructions How to find out the parameters of RAM using this program: Download Speccy Utility To find out the characteristics of its RAM is completely simple. To get as much information about the RAM installed as possible, do not only external inspection of the module, but also make an analysis using programs.
How to find out the RAM model
External examination of the plank
Method 1: learn the characteristics using CPU-Z
Method 2: We carry out an analysis of RAM in Speccy
Tell your friends on social networks
In order to expand / replace the RAM on a computer or laptop, you need to know as much information about the characteristics of the already installed memory. This is necessary in order to find the most compatible new module. In this case, it may be necessary to collect some information about the motherboard.
You can find out the characteristics of the installed module or memory modules in several ways that do not differ in high complexity. The main parameters for which you need to pay attention is the size of the plank itself, type, frequency.
View and "HRE" in the hands of the RAM module will have to be in any case. However, if the RAM is in the motherboard, it will be impossible.
To begin with, disassemble the system block or laptop housing. The disassembly process is completely individual. When disassembling a laptop, it is recommended to show some precautions:
Outwardly, the standard RAM bar looks like this (the appearance may vary slightly depending on the model).
It should be written on all the main characteristics, such as the volume, manufacturer, model, type, frequency. For the last three you need to pay special attention. Read more about each of them:
Unfortunately, you can not always find out the most detailed information about RAM only look at the module. Therefore, it is recommended to use third-party software. Windows features can only find out the size of the memory available at the moment.
CPU-Z is a multifunction utility for performance evaluation. First, download the archive from the official resource. To start working with the utility, remove it from the archive and open. CPU-Z does not require installation. Instructions for use:
Download Utility CPU-Z
The SPECCY utility is obsessive, however, it has a simpler interface compared to CPU-Z, because From there I was removed all the excess information. Brief instructions How to find out the parameters of RAM using this program:
Download Speccy Utility
To find out the characteristics of its RAM is completely simple. To get as much information about the RAM installed as possible, do not only external inspection of the module, but also make an analysis using programs.
Computer performance There is a set of several factors, and even better to say the technical characteristics of hardware devices, among which the processor, hard drives play a major role, and, of course, RAM or abbreviated RAM. On the computer, the RAM serves a kind of intermediate link between the processor and storage devices producing all the calculations - HDD or SSD hard disk. It is loaded in it the processes of all programs and the Windows 7/10 operating system itself, if the volume of applications data exceeds the capacity of RAM, the data is cached, for example, in the paging file. But in any case, the shortage of RAM will lead to the fact that the computer will work slowly, and applications will become less responsive. And on the contrary, the greater on the PC RAM, the faster the data exchange occurs, the smast of the system, the more powerful applications can be launched.
What are the main characteristics of the RAM and why know them
So, the more the amount of RAM, the better, and that is why users are often installed on the PC an additional module of RAM. However, it is impossible to get so easy to take, go to the store, buy any memory and connect it to the motherboard. If it is chosen incorrectly, the computer will not be able to work or even worse, this will lead to the fact that RAM simply fails. Therefore, it is so important to know its key characteristics. These include:
- Type of RAM . Depending on productivity and design features, DDR2, DDR3 and DDR4 modules are distinguished.
- Memory size . The parameter is characterized by a data volume that can be accommodated in memory cells.
- RAM frequency . The parameter determines the speed of operations per unit of time. The bandwidth of the RAM module depends on the frequency.
- Timing . These are temporary delays between sending a memory controller command and execution. With increasing frequency, the timings increase, due to which the acceleration of the RAM can lead to a decrease in its performance.
- Voltage . The voltage required to optimally work the memory bar.
- Form factor . The physical size, the form of the RAM bar, as well as the number and location of the contacts on the board.
If you install additional memory, it must have the same volume, type and frequency as the main one. If a complete replacement of RAM is performed, attention should be paid to support to the motherboard replaced by the RAM and the nuance processor. If the PC uses Intel Core i3 processors, Intel Core i5, Intel Core i7, the memory frequency and motherboard compliance is optional, because all of these processors, the RAM controller is located in the processor itself, and not in the northern bridge of the motherboard. The same applies to AMD processors.
How to determine the type and amount of RAM visually
Physically, the RAM is an oblong fee most often green with chips located on it. On this board, the manufacturer usually indicates the main characteristics of the memory, although there are exceptions. So, there are a memory strip, on which nothing is indicated in addition to the name of the manufacturer. If there are labeling, find out which RAM is installed on the PC. Fully disconnecting the computer and removing the cover of the system unit, carefully remove the memory module from the slot (the latter may not be needed) and carefully examine the information on the white sticker.
The number with the GB prefix will point to the amount of memory, the number with the MHz prefix - on the frequency, the number in the X-X-X-X format is on the timing, V - onto the voltage. But the type of RAM (RIMM, DDR2, DDR3, DDR4, etc.) is not always indicated. In this case, it is worth paying attention to the bandwidth, usually denoted as PC and transfer it to the specification of standards in the same Wikipedia on the page ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/dram. . The digit after PC usually indicates a generation of DDR, for example, the PC3-12800 says that the DDR3 memory is installed on the PC.
How to find out how much RAM, Windows tools
We briefly disassembled, how to determine which RAM is standing on a computer by visual inspection of the module, now let's find out how to find out its volume of the operating system. In Windows 7/10, there is a built-in utility Msinfo32.exe. . Pressing the Win + R keys to call the "Run" dialog box, enter the command MSInfo32. And press ENTER.
In the main section of the opening window of the system information, find the "Installed RAM (RAM)" item and see it in GB.
Instead of the msinfo32.exe utility, you can use another built-in component to determine the RAM - DirectX . He starts the team dxdiag The amount of memory is displayed in megabytes on the first tab "System".
Third-party programs to determine the parameters of RAM
Information provided by the Windows utility, stingy. It allows you to find out how much RAM on the computer, but does not display other important characteristics. If you need more data, it is better to use special programs. The most famous of them is, of course, Aida64 Extreme Edition . Memory information in this program is contained in the menu. System fee - SPD And include characteristics as the name of the module, the volume and type, frequency, voltage, timing and serial number.
You can also see the RAM using the program Speccy. From the developers of a popular cleaner CCleaner. General information about RAM in the program are available on the main tab of the "Summary", and additional ones on the RAM tab. This includes volume, type, timing, channel mode, frequency and some other, less important, information. Unlike the AIDA64 app Speccy for free, but it shows less information.
To view the main memory characteristics, we can also recommend the utility CPU-Z. . The information you need is in the MEMORY tab. It includes type, volume, channel mode, system tire frequency ratio to RAM frequency and other additional information. Like Speccy, CPU-Z is free, but it does not support the Russian language, which, however, is not so important.
And finally, we will advise another program to view RAM information. It is called Hwinfo64-32. . Externally and functionally, it resembles AIDA64 and at the same time CPU-Z. On the MEMORY tab, the program shows the type of module, the volume in megabytes, the channel mode (single, two or three-channel), clock frequency, timing and other additional information. Hwinfo64-32 is free, the interface language has English, which, as in the case of CPU-Z, is not fundamentally important.
Question from one of the users
Tell me how to find out which RAM is installed on my computer. The fact is that I have 2 GB of memory (I learned through the properties in My Computer), and I want to add 2 ÷ 4 GB, but I don't know which bar to buy.
By the way, I disassembled the system unit, I got the memory bar itself, but there are no stickers on it and no other designation. Therefore, just rewrite the marking from the old memory and take exactly the same - the option does not fit ...
Good day to everyone.
In general, to be honest, it is practically in any memory from a more or less well-known manufacturer there is a marking and designation. If there are no such stickers - most likely, or "touched" someone (for example, could be badly glued) or the memory from a little-known some Chinese manufacturer ... 👀
I will consider below several options for determining the type and amount of memory.
We define the type and amount of memory, without disassembled the computer
I think it is the most popular and popular way to determine the type of RAM, both a stationary computer and a compact laptop (netbook, etc. devices) . It is enough to start 1 ÷ 2 programs and find out everything you need ... 👌
For further work - we will need special. PC characteristics definition utility (better choose Speccy or AIDA). I wrote about them in one of my past articles - a reference to it below.
👉 To help!
Utilities for Definition of computer characteristics
And so ... Running Speccy, you will see quite a lot of different data: the processor model, motherboard, the temperature of the main components, etc. Need to open section RAM (Arrow-1 on the screen below 👇).
What will learn in it (I will comment on the screen below):
- Memory Slots. - Slots for RAM. Total Memory Slots. - How many slots (i.e., all of them on my laptop 2). Used Memory Slots. - How many slots used (also used 2) ; FREE MEMORY SLOTS. - How many free slots - 0 (i.e. buy and insert another bar memory - just nowhere!) .
👉 Important! This information is not always reliable (especially, on laptops, where there may be a place under a slot, and in fact - it is not planted ...);
- Type - DDR3 This type of RAM. On the home computer can also meet DDR4 or DDR 2 (DDR 1 is already a rarity, although, maybe someone will see it ...) ;
- Size - 16384Mb. , the number of RAM, the volume (i.e. 16 GB);
- Channels - Dual. . Mode of operation: single-channel and two-channel. If you have several RAM planks - it is perfect, of course, that they work in two-channel mode (gives greater performance in some games, programs) ;
- DRAM FRECUENCY - 798.1 MHZ . The frequency of operational memory. The higher - the better! True, a reservation immediately, the frequency should be supported by the motherboard (processor);
- Slot 1 and Slot 2 (arrows 4 and 5 on the screenshot below) - here you can find out in more detail about each specific bar: its type, size, manufacturer, speed, serial number, timings, etc.
SPECCY - type and amount of RAM
In general, the information provided in the utility, more than enough for most users. If you want to buy a RAM bar for computer - I can simply purchase the same according to the characteristics as already installed on the PC / laptop.
👉 By the way!
Very cheap to buy dies RAM in chinese online stores
For laptops. Pay attention to two things:
- First : Check if you have an additional slot for another RAM Dry. Sometimes programs can show its presence, but it may not be planted - i.e. Under it there is a place on the motherboard, but it is not myself!
- Second - on the type of memory: DDR3, or DDR3L, or DDR4 (eg).
👉 worth A couple of words say about voltage . Carefully look at the marking of memory, for example, DDR3 and DDR3L - So they are back-compatible, but some laptops work only with a specific type of memory.
To determine what your memory you have - look at the Voltage in Speccy, when disclosing detailed information about the memory bar (Slot # 1) : if 1,35V means DDR3L if 1.5V means DDR3.
Voltage RAM / Speccy
Also, detailed information about memory can also be obtained using other similar utilities - for example, it is very convenient to work with AIDA. An example is shown below on the screen. In principle, all the same information is presented, a little in another layout, so I do not comment ...
AIDA - detailed information about the memory bar
Designation and marking on the RAM bar
In general, on the memory bar, usually there is always a sticker with all the necessary information: the manufacturer, the amount of memory, speed, the type of memory, timings.
I will consider on the example of one of the slats (so that they are all similar, and disassemble one - by the rest you will figure it out without me).
2GB 1RX8 PC3-12800S-11-11-8B2 - What do these figures mean:
- 2GB - Number of Memory (the more - the better ☝) ;
- 1RX8 - unilateral memory rack (for example, 2RX8 - double-sided). Often this information is not specified at all, and many do not pay attention to it;
- PC3-12800 - bar bandwidth (roughly speaking, speed). By the way, its type is not specified on this memory bar (DDR3, for example), but the PC3-12800 says that this type DDR3 (If there were PC2 ... - That would be the type DDR2) ;
- 11-11-B2 - Timings (the topic is large, and I do not consider this article, I just say that they affect the performance of your memory).
Marking on the memory bar
By the way, with the table below, you can translate the designation PC3-12800. - In the standard name - DDR3-1600 (which, by the way, is also sometimes indicated on RAM plars).
Table with standards specification (DDR3)
|Standard name||Tire frequency, MHz||Effective (double) speed, million gears / s||Module name||Peak data transfer rate with a 64-bit data bus in one-channel mode, MB / s|
DDR4 - Standards Specification
DDR2, DDR3, DDR4 How to distinguish?
Quite often, you have to hear questions, how to distinguish between different types of memory, for example, DDR2, DDR3, DDR4 (especially novice users are afraid when buying additional memory to your PC).
In general, the easiest option is to use and read the label on the memory bar. If there is no marking on the plank itself, my advice is generally give up the purchase of such a memory!
Also, before buying memory, check which dies will suit you (about it above), see what you already have on a PC (and pick up analog).
👉 To help!
An article about how to Select RAM for laptop
👉 Besides This, note that the planks of different types (the same DDR2 and DDR3) are also different Geometria ! The photo below shows a ruler and planks of different types.
DDR1 DDR2, DDR3 - how to distinguish the planks (size in see)
👉 By the way , the memory bar for a laptop is shorter than for a stationary computer. It is indicated, usually, SO-DIMM. (for PC just Dimm. ).
👉 note that the bar from the laptop through specials. The adapter can be put in the computer, the bar, the same from the PC to put in the laptop it will not be possible - it just does not fit into the compact device body!
Memory Planks for PCs and Laptop
"More than 640 CB of memory for personal computers will never need."
Bill Gates, 1981.
On the sim all, good luck!
First Publication: 04/22/2017
- Video installation Excellent software to start creating their own videos (all actions go down the steps!). Video will make even newcomer!
- Computer accelerator The program for cleaning Windows from garbage (speeds up the system, deletes the garbage, optimizes the registry).
RAM is one of the most important components of any computer and certainly the guarantor of the speed of work. In the modern world, even the frequency of the processor does not affect the overall perception of speed as the RAM. But to replace or add this component, you need to thoroughly know all its characteristics - and there are a lot of operational memory. So, how to find out what RAM is in your computer? In this article.
How to find out which RAM is on the computer
Information we can see about RAM
RAM has several branches of the division:
- The first is the volume, quite obvious characteristic. The more - the better, however, look around for the processor and motherboard - they support an increase to a certain ceiling;
- Second characteristic - type. Ancient SIMM, a little less ancient SDRAM ... Well, it is unlikely, of course, although it is not excluded. And modern DDR standards - from the first to the fourth;
- And finally, the frequency of memory. Here, as in the case of the processor frequency, the higher - the better. However, make sure that your processor is working with this frequency. It will not start - it will be pretty hurt.
So let's proceed to the study of these signs.
The characteristic of RAM contains several branches of the information division.
The most obvious way to find out the type of RAM computer, not even including it. In many cases, it allows with absolute accuracy to determine the desired characteristics, however, has a number of significant minuses. You have to open the computer - for someone it is a significant stop factor. The sticker on the memory bar may not correspond to reality, be not informative, as many not very well-known manufacturers, or not at all. However, this method can be used.
- Remove the lateral lid of your computer.
Remove the side cover of the computer
- RAM in it is usually located to the right of the processor and is oriented vertically. Pull the two latches from the heads of the bar in different directions and pull out the bar.
- It is time to inspect the stickers on it. In our case, it can be understood from the sticker that the type of our plank is DDR3, the frequency is 1333 MHz, and its volume is 4 GB. The inscriptions may have various options and combinations, but the general meaning must be understood.
We look at the sticker on RAM and find the data we need
Note . There is another labeling standard. Pay attention to the image above. In brackets on the sticker you can see the inscription PC3 10600. This is nothing more than the encoded characteristics, excluding the volume. RS3 - DDR3, 10600 - frequency. To get a familiar value in megahertz, you need to divide this number on 8. It will be familiar 1333.
You can also add that the type of memory can be determined by the location of the contacts and cuts on the bottom edge, but this is a rather complicated and unnecessary way, so we will bypass it.
Diagnosis in bios
Also a rather convenient way. No need to open a computer, but at the same time you do not need to stir up the system with all sorts of diagnostic programs. Just and tastefully. Of the minuses - not all bios know how to display complete information about memory, but these are rare cases in our time.
- Go to the bios of your computer. To do this, when you start, click the Del, F1, ESC ... button (you can always find the button in the documentation for the motherboard or on the developer's website).
Buttons for logging in the "BIOS" menu
- Here begins some branching. It all depends on the type of BIOS installed with you. If he is legacy, that is, quite old (focus on screenshots - should be roughly similar), then search for the "Memory Information" string.
Find the string "Memory Information"
- In some models, memory information is also stored in - "Hardware Information".
We find information about memory in the section "System Information" or "Hardware Information"
- If your fee or laptop is relatively new, then the BIOS can be UEFI - beautiful, graphic, with mouse control. Here everything is very simple - looking for the inscription "Total Memory" (or familiar "Memory Information") and look at the information in it.
We are looking for the inscription "Total Memory"
How to decipher such an inscription - see the note to the first way.
Operating system tools
The easiest of all ways. However, the most limited. If you have enough to know only how much RAM you have for you, for the system does not know how to determine the frequency, or the point of the RAM. But this is only about Windows - Macos as it can.
In the case of MacOS:
- Click on the apple at the top line and select the "Mac" line in the menu.
Click on the apple in the top line and select the line "On this Mac" in the menu
- A "System Information" window will open, in which you will be very simple to read all the information about your memory - from the volume to type (see Screenshot).
In the "System Information" window, see the memory "Memory"
If you have Windows, then everything is far from dryly:
- Right-click on the Start menu and select "System" in the menu.
Select "System" in the "Start" menu
- The standard "View computer configuration information" will appear.
In the "View Computer Configuration Information" window in the System section, see the "Installed Memory" section
There is also a processor, and the size of the system is indicated, but it is written about memory, it is extremely small - only the volume. So they do not really get together.
Find out detailed information about your PC components in the article - "How to find out the components of your computer."
Third-party diagnostic applications
Scope for work. A lot of third-party diagnostic utilities that can thoroughly determine everything, including the exact model of your planks and their location in the motherboard slots. All of them will not work out, so consider at least a couple.
Diagnostic utility that is heard from many. It applies both in free and in the commercial version.
- Download and install an Extreme version on your computer and run it.
Download and install AIDA64 EXTREME
- In the tree on the left, find the Row "System Board".
In the tree on the left we find the line "System fee"
- Turning it out, select one of the items - "Memory" or "SPD". Recommended second - there is information. Read more. The program, for example, shows not only the volume, type and frequency, but also the type of module (for example, the laptop type of module is different from desktop), as well as the maximum frequency and actual at the moment. Very comfortably.
We choose one of the items - "Memory" or "SPD"
The second most popular third-party application. It has the same intuitive interface, and in general, duplicates the functions of the previous example, with the exception of a fairly important item - has a portable version. You can not install.
As in the past case, in the program interface, we are looking for "Memory" and "SPD". In the drop-down list, select information about what kind of slot we want to view, and the program immediately displays all its characteristics. Everything, before the details like the serial number.
CPU-Z Application Interface
Ready! We hope that these methods helped you find all the necessary information. Good luck!
Read the new information in the article - "How to see what kind of RAM on the computer".
Video - How to find out what kind of RAM is worth
Did you like the article? Save not to lose!
How to find out which RAM is installed in the computer
Increasing RAM is one of the easiest ways to speed up the computer, if there are problems with rebooting pages in the browser, slow folding-unfolding applications and other symptoms of lack of RAM. Installing additional RAM is a simple procedure with which you can cope without contacting the service.
However, it is required not only to install, but also choose the right new modules for purchase. RAM varies in type, frequency and volume. Before buying new modules, RAM needs to know which RAM is installed in the computer, pick up suitable and acquire.
Table of contents: 1. How to choose RAM to replace
2. How to find out which RAM is installed in the computer
- Video instruction - Visual inspection
- - means of bios.
- - Windows tools
- third-party applications
How to find out which RAM is installed in the computer
How to choose RAM to replace
Select RAM to install into a computer is quite simple.
Two cases are possible:
The computer already has the RAM and its volume must be expanded by setting an additional module. In such a situation, it is desirable to acquire a bar, the volume of which corresponds to the already installed in the computer. In addition, they should not differ in type and frequency;
New RAM is installed instead of old. If new memory modules are installed in place of old, then it is necessary to pay attention only to supporting the selected RAM from the motherboard and processor.
- Most often, users add to the computer to the computer, and they need to determine which memory is currently installed.
- Determine the basic parameters of the RAM installed in the computer, you can do well ways. We will not consider them all, and we will give the most convenient and simple options for the rank user.
- Visual inspection
- The easiest way to learn the basic parameters installed in the RAM computer is to inspect the module already installed RAM. To do this, you must first turn off the power of the computer, then remove the cover and pull out the bar (it will take to weaken it to weaken the clamps on both sides). It should be a sticker with key information about RAM.
- Pluses of visual inspection:
No need to include a computer and download third-party applications;
In addition to the basic parameters of RAM, you can find out the exact model. Cons of visual inspection:
- If the sticker from RAM has been tearing off, the information cannot be obtained;
- On some modern RAM modules do not glue stickers with information due to the presence of cooling radiator on them;
This method is not suitable for laptops, as the removal of the cover with them is a very time-consuming procedure.
- BIOS Tools
- Through the BIOS or UEFI environment, you can define the basic parameters of the RAM installed in the computer. To do this, you need to start the operating system boot, that is, immediately after turning on the computer, press DEL to go to the BIOS settings.
Next, it will be necessary depending on the version of BIOS or UEFI:
- If we are talking about the old BIOS versions, search for information about RAM is needed in the Memory Information column, which is located in the Chipset tab. Please note: in various versions of the BIOS, the location of the RAM information may differ.
- If we are talking about a modern BIOS, that is, about UEFI, then search for information about RAM is needed on the main screen. The Total Memory column indicates the frequency, type and amount of RAM installed in the computer.
Pros of definition of RAM parameters by BIOS:
You can even get the data if Windows is not installed on the computer or does not load;
If you want to check multiple RAM modules in a row to define their system, this method is the fastest.
Cons Receive RAM information by BIOS: Since the versions of BIOS are many, and most often they are not localized, it is difficult to find information about RAM among the mass of parameters;
- In the old BIOS, all the necessary information is not always displayed, and only the amount of RAM is visible.
- Windows tools
The Windows operating system has built-in utilities that allow you to learn the minimum information about the RAM - its use used. That is, to determine the utilities of the operating system the type of memory and the frequency will not work.
There is another important limit. Windows will show only the amount of memory used, and not the total size installed. Attention should be paid to this aspect if 32-bit Windows is used on the computer, which does not support more than 3 GB of RAM. That is, if the computer is installed more RAM, it will not be displayed in diagnostic utilities, and "extra" memory will not be used when working.
You can find out the amount of RAM using Windows tools in several ways.
- Most simple to do this as follows:
- Press the right mouse button on the "My Computer" icon in the explorer and select "Properties". A window will open, where the scope of the installed RAM is marked;
Press the Windows + R keys keyboard on the keyboard and enter the MSINFO32 command, then press ENTER. The System Information window opens, where the RAM information is stored in the main tab.
(For Windows, a mass of diagnostic applications has been released, each of which can be used to solve certain tasks. Most of them provide the opportunity to learn information about RAM. Let us give the following examples of such programs that you can download free from developers sites to determine the information about RAM.
Information on RAM in the CPU-Z application is dispersed in several tabs:Memory. In the "General" column, the value of "Type" will talk about the type of installed RAM, and in the Size paragraph there is information about the volume of RAM. Also below in the column "Timing" you can see information about the operating frequency.
SPD. In the SPD tab, you can determine the number of installed memory modules and detailed information about each of them.
Another convenient application for viewing information about components installed in the computer is AIDA64. To find out information about RAM, you need to select SPD in the "System Board" tab. The application defines all the basic parameters of RAM.
Hwinfo64-32 is another convenient application that allows you to diagnose the system and check its parameters. Unlike AIDA64, this application has a portable version, that is, which is not required to even install on a computer. All information about RAM in the Hwinfo64-32 application is displayed in the "Memory" column. thirteen Voice., Middle:
- out of 5)
- Hello. The capacity of the PC is affected by the mass of factors, one of which is the RAM. Today we will talk on the site
- How to find out what RAM is on the computer. The first thing that comes to mind is to remove the lid and see. Of course, if you can imagine what the system unit is and its main components. Briefly tell about this method too:
- You need to remove the side panel with the system. Planck RAM will stand in a vertical position on the right side of the processor.
- Pull from the plank, located in its ends, latches and pull out RAM. Now consider stickers. Usually they are present all the necessary information - manufacturer, type, volume and frequency.
Hello. The capacity of the PC is affected by the mass of factors, one of which is the RAM. Today we will talk on the site
Table of contents:
- PC configuration information and system
- Task Manager
- Command line
- Friends if you were horrified by the thoughts that you would have to dig in the insides of the PC, I hurry to delight you - this is completely optional. You can determine the volume and type of memory, without viewing the computer. For example, ride in BIOS, but only if you consider yourself a confident user and know how to get into the heart of the system (the Del, F1 or ESC key - which particular depends on the manufacturer, usually a prompt appears on the screen).
- Depending on the type of bios, the necessary information can be located in different sections:
- In Memory Information.
How to find out what RAM is on the computer. The first thing that comes to mind is to remove the lid and see. Of course, if you can imagine what the system unit is and its main components. Briefly tell about this method too:
In Hardware Information.
You need to remove the side panel with the system. Planck RAM will stand in a vertical position on the right side of the processor.
In Total Memory.
Yes, the method with BIOS will also do not all. I understand it, so I will talk about simpler methods. Windows operating system of any version (10, 8, 7 and earlier) stores in its depths the search information. To get it, you need to know where to look. If you are only interested in the volume of the RAM installed, then look at the PC configuration information. You can do this in different ways:
- On the Label "My ... This ... or just a computer" existing on the desktop, make the right mouse click and select "Properties".
- In the opened window "System", among other information, there is also the volume of RAM. There you can also get a little differently - to find a link to the "Control Panel" in the "start", and in it the System section.
- Another way is to use the "Run" window, which starts through the "Start" or by pressing the Win + R keys. In this window you need to enter MSINFO32, which will open a little bit different, but even a more informative information window. To find the volume of RAM, you need to scroll down the slider.
- More complete information about RAM with an indication of not only volume, but also type - DDR, DDR2, DDR3 or DDR4, can be obtained in the Task Manager. It starts from "Start" (write the name in the search bar) or the hot keys Ctrl + Alt + Del. In the "Dispatcher" window, switch to the "Performance" tab, and then familiarize yourself with the parameters of the Memory item.
- The same information can be obtained via the command line, although there is one thing - it needs to be launched on behalf of the administrator - in the "Run" window (how to open it, I wrote above) Write a CMD and click OK. Or open the service menu with the Win + X keys and run CMD by selecting the desired item.
Pull from the plank, located in its ends, latches and pull out RAM. Now consider stickers. Usually they are present all the necessary information - manufacturer, type, volume and frequency.
In order for the command line to display information about RAM, you can use a minimum of two commands:
- SystemInfo - Write and press ENTER. In the table with different characteristics of the PC there are also indicators of the installed RAM. WMIC Memorychip Get DeviceLocator, - This team allows you to learn more accurate information about RAM. In order for the command line to display the type of RAM, you need to add a MEMORYTYPE to this searches command and press ENTER. In the case of the picture above, CMD displayed values 0 for both slots. This means that she failed to determine the type of memory installed on the PC. In the next picture you can see what more codes are encountered and what type they indicate (I only led the main).
- If after the same command (WMic Memorychip Get DeviceLocator,) Write a SPEED, then the command line will reflect the RAM speed.
- To view the volume, you need to add to the same command after the comma of Capacity. The displayed values will seem huge, do not be scared, they are listed in bytes. To translate the obtained value to gigabytes, divide it at 1073741824. For example, those RAM, which are presented in the picture have a volume equal to 2 GB each.
- To remember the commands for CMD - this is a troublesome business, so for you, maybe it will be easier to install a third-party program on the PC and it is literally in one or two clicks to determine the characteristics of RAM. Maximum convenient to do this through the popular AIDA64 utility:
- Download it to your PC - here there is a free trial version (professional edition paid, but a probe will come for once) -
I recommend downloading a self-installing package.
Go to the browser download, open the downloaded file.exe, accept the agreement, confirm the language and other settings, pressing OK all the time, wait until the AIDA is installed on your PC. Click "Complete", leaving a tick at the "Run" item.
In the left part of the program window, expand by clicking on the arrow, the "System board" item and click on the "Memory" item to see the RAM characteristics. Here you will find information about the volume of the carrier. All other indicators - type, timings, speed, manufacturer, and so on, can be seen by expanding the SPD item. Friends, there are other ways and programs through which you can extend from PC information about RAM installed on it, but we will talk about them another time. Goodbye.
RAM (RAM) - One of the most important elements of many modern gadgets (smartphone, system unit, laptop, gaming console, and so on) responsible for storing time data when operating system operation. и I will not paint about the RAM in more detail, since I have previously addressed this question in my article " What to pay attention to when buying a laptop or system unit?! "I click on the link and study to the end so that when choosing a gift not to get caught on the trick of consultants.
But not enough to accumulate cash, come to the nearest electronics store and buy any RAM bar. First you need to determine What type Volume I need a new RAM, as well as what maximum volume is supported by your device. But how to do it? About this today and let's talk in more detail on the example of the laptop of ASUS ...
Of course, the most
Easy way find out the volume and type of RAM - this is to enter the device model in .
search engine Internet
- And to study the technical characteristics in detail. You can also explore the stickers on the laptop housing, unless of course they remained. In detail, I want to stay on the software method.
- 1) via the built-in system information tool.
- The Windows operating system has a built-in tool that will allow even an inexperienced user to learn everything about its system and the basic technical characteristics of the device. It is called MSINFO32 or other words "System Information".
- Separate article
- In order to find out the amount of RAM of the device, you need to perform several actions:
- Click on "all programs."
In the "Start" menu item "Standard"
Next, you need to click on the subparagraph "service".
But it is there that hides the label "System Information".
- System information in the "Start" menu
- In the dialog box that opens, in front of the "Installed RAM" string, you can see the amount of installed RAM.
- 2) Through the "Properties" of the "My Computer" label.
Perform actions in order:
Right-click on the "My Computer" label or "Computer" to call the context menu.
In the context menu, you need to click on the item "Properties".
- Context menu "My Computer" In the dialog box that appears in the "Installed memory (RAM)" line, we can recognize the information you are interested in. Properties
- 3) Using the command line. In the command prompt, as in the operating system, there is a command that displays complete information about the system and technical specifications of the laptop. Properties
Call the menu "
- Start ". Properties
- In the search string, enter the command " cmd. Calling command line
- For information about the volume of RAM, you need: In the input row we prescribe the command " Properties
Press the key " ENTER "And we are waiting for a few seconds.
We study the numbers that are reflected in front of the line "
- Full volume of physical memory 4) Windows 10 task manager. In Windows 10, the task manager was finalized, including the section added " Performance In Windows 10, the task manager was finalized, including the section added " ", where you can learn about the size and type of RAM, as well as about the number of free slots. Properties
- Enough to perform several actions: How to find out what RAM is on the computer. The first thing that comes to mind is to remove the lid and see. Of course, if you can imagine what the system unit is and its main components. Briefly tell about this method too: Properties
- Press the keyboard keyboard keyboard ENTER Properties
- Ctrl "+" Alt.
In the menu that appears, you need to select item "
In the option "
"You can find the information you need:
- above the figure of a digit, for example, 8.0 displays the total RAM volume, the combination of DDR letters with a digit displays the type of installed slats;
- Under the diagram, the "Usage of the Nest" string displays the total number of sockets for the installation of RAM RAM, as well as the number of free.
Windows 10 Task Manager 5) Using third-party programs. As you already understood full information about the installed RAM, you can only find out if you have the Windows 10 operating system on your computer.